Re: symlinks show .exe

David Antliff wrote:
In my experience, it should be possible to create symlinks to any
arbitrary target, regardless of whether it actually exists or not.
Therefore, if I create a symlink to "/bin/ls" then I'd expect that to
be the content of the symlink - the automatic behaviour of rewriting
it to "/bin/ls.exe" is unexpected and therefore probably incorrect
according to some "standard" somewhere.

I totally agree. The symlink target should be stored "as is" without further interpretation.

The example of non existing target is good.
An this gives me an idea:

$ mv /bin/ls /bin/ls.bak
$ ln -s /bin/ls lls
$ mv /bin/ls.bak /bin/ls
$ ls -l lls
lrwxrwxrwx 1 vincent cygwin 7 Oct  4 22:19 lls -> /bin/ls
$ ./lls

The symlink looks good and it works ;-)

--
Vincent Rivière