Re: fc-list does not list windows system fonts under cygwin

On 10/1/2009 3:14 PM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
On 01/10/2009 18:38, Ken Brown wrote:
On 10/1/2009 10:49 AM, Steven Woody wrote:
Hi,

I am using tex-live under a cygwin system. I found the 'fc-list'
command can not list fonts in system font directory
'c:\windows\fonts'. I remembered it can do this before I reinstalled
my whole system). What's wrong with it?

It's not working!

I think this only recently started working in some limited circumstances
(See http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2009-09/msg00010.html), and there isn't enough version information in OP to determine if it should work or not :-)

I'm cc-ing the cygwin-xfree list, which is where I think fontconfig
questions belong. I can confirm that on my system, fc-list produces
strange output on the windows system fonts. I'm not sure if it's the
same problem you were reporting.

For example, I get the following in a mintty window under cygwin 1.7:

$ fc-list|grep -i micro
Microsoft Sans
Serif:style=Regular,Normal,obyÄejné,Standard,Îανονικά,Normaali,Normál,Normale,Standaard,Normalny,ÐбÑÑнÑй,Normálne,Navadno,Arrunta

These come out as (what I guess are) translations of "Normal" for me, so I guess, yes, wrong charset or encoding :-)

But is fc-list really supposed to show all these translations? I never saw that in older versions of fontconfig, which didn't include the Windows font directory.

Ken