Re: Assistance sought grepping log files

Larry W. Virden wrote:

> For example, I've copied some of the "12 hive" tracing logs from IIS (or
> maybe it is SharePoint... I'm still struggling to figure all this out) into
> a directory to which I have access.
>
> Now I'd like to crunch those logs to see the errors, etc.
>
> awk and grep, however, do not seem to find anything in the files.

> The weird thing is that when I use the "more" command, the file looks just
> fine.

  You could use the "od" utility to see what's actually going on in these
files.  My guess would be that there are embedded ascii NULs that are causing
all the string processing routines in awk/grep etc. to fail.  If that's the
case, running them through "tr -d '\0'" might help.

    cheers,
      DaveK