SOLVED Subversion svn fails silently after updating Cygwin

Hi,

I managed to get back into my bad install of Cygwin and ran
$strace svn

As you suspected a missing dependency popped up: /usr/bin/cygz.dll

cygz.dll is the only file in the libz0 package:
$ cyg-apt filelist zlib
usr/share/doc/
usr/share/doc/Cygwin/
usr/share/doc/Cygwin/zlib.README
usr/share/doc/zlib/
usr/share/doc/zlib/ChangeLog
usr/share/doc/zlib/FAQ
usr/share/doc/zlib/README

chrisc@hamster ~
$ cyg-apt filelist zlib0
usr/bin/cygz.dll

In 1.5 setup.ini
@ subversion
requires: cygwin libapr1 libaprutil1 libdb4.2 libexpat1 libintl8 libneon27 libsasl2 libserf0_0 libsqlite3_0 zlib

In 1.7 setup.ini
@ subversion
requires: libapr1 libaprutil1 libdb4.2 libexpat1 libgcc1 libintl8 libneon27 libsasl2 libserf0_0 libsqlite3_0 zlib0 cygwin

I added zlib0 to the @ subversion requires and reinstalled subversion. To my surprise this didn't fix the problem: I found that my install of zlib0 was corrupt: the installed.db said it was installed when it was not ie cygz.dll not present. Reinstalling zlib0 == fixed!

So I'd suggest the 1.5 @ subversion requires are incomplete (maybe the 1.7 ones too, but they are only lacking zlib, not zlib0 and zlib doesn't look critical).

The other people who are suffering the sudden svn failures could also try

$strace svn

and if cygz.dll is the problem, reinstall zlib0 to fix the problem. Cheers, Chris