Re: ls / does not show /c with cygdrive prefix=/

On Sep 29 17:08, Mikel Ward wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > Is there any way to disable this special case to get the behavior I want
> > > with prefix=/?
> >
> > No, sorry.
>
> OK.
>
> I don't understand why, but if you don't have time to explain, that's
> fine.

I don't know what you would like to read.  It's part of the way the
Cygwin DLL handles that stuff.  To enumerate the available directories,
the directory opened with opendir() must have been recognized as the
cygdrive directory.  If that happens, *only* drives are enumerated
since the cygdrive directory is a virtual directory anyway.
This method can't work on / since then you would have a broken
filesystem tree.  That's why we frown on / as cygdrive directory (at
least I do, but apparently nobody cares).

> But are there any other possible problems with having prefix=/ that I
> should be aware of?

I didn't look into this for some time.  Off the top of my head I don't
know.  Looks like many people are using it anyway.

Corinna

Red Hat