Re: Cygwin 1.7 & mintty error - cannot run mintty more than once at a time

2009/9/29 David Antliff:
> I've been using Cygwin 1.7 alongside Cygwin 1.5 quite happily for the
> last few hours, however all-of-a-sudden when I try and run mintty
> (from cygstart or from a cmd.exe shell) I get a new window with this
> error message:
>
> Failed to create child process: No such file or directory

That means its call to forkpty() failed.

> Hitting "enter" makes the window close.

Yep, that's as intended.

> I messed around with this for a while until I discovered something
> very obvious - I already had a mintty running.
>
> It appears that in Cygwin 1.7 I cannot run more than one instance of
> mintty at a time.
>
> In 1.5, I have happily run many, many instances simultaneously.
>
> However I can run bash.exe without a problem, and in doing so I tried an strace:

Thanks for that, but more basic info is needed first.

>From http://cygwin.com/problems.html: "Run 'cygcheck -s -v -r
>cygcheck.out' and include that file as an attachment in your report.
Please do not compress or otherwise encode the output. Just attach it
as a straight text file so that it can be easily viewed."

Also, which version of mintty are you using, and how exactly are you
invoking it? And are you running 1.5 at the same time?

Andy