Re: Can't get SSHD s tarted aft er success fully runn ing sshd-h ost-config â

> On 09/21/2009 08:27 PM, Kyle Stanek wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm having trouble getting the sshd service running under
> cygwin. I am running Cygwin on Windows XP SP3. I have successfully
> run ssh-host-config, however I get errors when I try and start the
> service using cygrunsrv or net:
>
> [fido ~]$ cygrunsrv --start sshd
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus: Win32 error 1062:
> The service has not been started.
> [fido ~]$
> [fido ~]$ net start sshd
> The CYGWIN sshd service is starting.
>
> The CYGWIN sshd service could not be started.
>

> The service did not report an error.
>

> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.
>

> [fido ~]$
>

> Also, the sshd log is empty:
> [fido ~]$ cat /var/log/sshd.log
>
> [fido ~]$
>

> Another
> piece of information that may be helpful is that I can't even get the
> sshd executable to output any debug information, as it simply returns
> silently. i.e.
>
> [fido ~]$ /usr/sbin/sshd -d -d -d -D
>

> [fido ~]$ /usr/sbin/sshd -d
>
> Ugh! I wish there was some way we could stop folks from trying to do this like
>
> they can on Linux and other Unix. :-( You've very likely just messed up your
>
> permissions on a bunch of files and directories that 'sshd' uses. These
> will need
>
> to be reset for things to work properly. If you've just installed Cygwin,
> take the
>
> simple route out and remove Cygwin (see the FAQ for pointers on how) and
>
> reinstall.
> _Don't_run_'sshd'_or_any_Cygwin_service_from_the_shell_unless_the_shell_
>
> _is_owned_by_the_privileged_user_that_will_run_the_service_. If you don't
> know what
>
> the preceding means, then don't run sshd from a shell, period.

I am hesitant to do this, as I have spent a good amount of time customizing my Cygwin environment.  However, if you think this is the only way to go I can do it.

> Here is my best attempt at an accounting of the settings that I have used:
> 1. I installed cygwin packages for all users, Unix / binary file types
> 2. I have installed the following Cygwin packages:
>
> cygrunsrv 1.34-1
> openssh 5.1p1-8
> 3.
> When running ssh-host-config, I accepted all defaults and chose to run
> sshd under a separate account with limited permissions.
>
> Please let me know if you need any more information. I would appreciate
> any help that could be provided.
>
> Sounds to me like something is missing from the install. What does
> 'cygcheck sshd' say?

[fido ~]$ cygcheck sshd
Error: could not find sshd
[fido ~]$