Re: syntax for Cygwin bash invoking Win apps

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Ziser, Jesse wrote:
> --- On Wed, 9/9/09, Christopher Faylor [...] wrote:
>From: [...]
Please don't quote email addresses and message headers.

> OK, yeah, I now see that is basically what's going on.
> ÂBash is processing it as normal and then Cygwin is adding all kinds of quoting
> before invoking the Windows executable.

Makes sense.  Bash is stripping the backslashes, but then Cygwin is
putting them back.  So their apparent invulnerability is an illusion.

> However, it does more than quote them (which would only bother me a little),
> because it also added backslashes in front of the quote-marks

That is "quoting".  In this context, "quoting" means "marking special
characters so that they are not interpreted according to their special
meaning", a.k.a. "escaping", and is not limited to quotation marks.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>