Re: [1.7] rename/renameat error

Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:

> > > POSIX states that rename must fail with EINVAL if either argument ends in
> > > '.' or '..' (after trailing slashes are stripped).  Cygwin 1.7 is
> > > detecting this situation (which is a step up from 1.5 which did the rename
> > > anyways), but sets errno to EBUSY instead of EINVAL.
> >
> > Thanks for catching.  Feel free to fix the rename function accordingly.
>
> OK, I'll look into it (I don't know how large the patch will be, yet).

And link("a","f/.") should not create "f" as a regular file, either.  I'm still
looking at where to patch things.

Also, we currently allow link("a","b") on FAT, but it might be nicer to fail
with EPERM on file systems where hard links are not supported, to match Linux
behavior (portable programs, like autoconf, already have fallbacks to perform
cp if linking fails, but the copy should be done by the caller, not by link()
itself).

--
Eric Blake