Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: screen, now with 256-color support!

Andrew Schulman:
>> > TERM=xterm-256color screen -T screen-256color
>>
>> Instead of specifying -T screen-256color every time, one can just put
>> 'term screen-256color' into .screenrc. ÂI'll update the docs to show this
>> when I make the release current.
>
> Is there any reason that I shouldn't put this command into the default
> /etc/screenrc file?

'fraid so. Prompted by this thread I wondered the same thing about
mintty: why not set TERM to "xterm-256color" by default?

Answer: because /etc/termcap doesn't know about it, and other programs
that read the TERM variable might not recognise it either.
Furthermore, user startup scripts that compare TERM to "xterm" or
"screen" would break.

Shame.

Andy