pipelines with paths containing spaces

cygwin:

I am having trouble using pipelines with paths containing spaces:

    2009-08-31 01:16:32 Administrator@p43400e ~
    $ ls -d /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/
    /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/

    2009-08-31 01:16:50 Administrator@p43400e ~
    $ ls -d /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/ | xargs ls
    ls: cannot access /cygdrive/c/Documents: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access and: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access Settings/: No such file or directory

    2009-08-31 01:16:55 Administrator@p43400e ~
    $ ls `ls -d /cygdrive/c/Documents\ and\ Settings/`
    ls: cannot access /cygdrive/c/Documents: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access and: No such file or directory
    ls: cannot access Settings/: No such file or directory

I tried writing a Perl script to escape spaces, but that didn't work.

I tried writing a Perl script to wrap paths in single quotes and escape
single quotes, but that didn't work.

I tried searching the mailing list archive, the FAQ, and Google
variations on 'cygwin pipeline spaces', but didn't come up with a solid
hit.

I installed Cygwin two days ago.  Attached please find cygcheck.out.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David