emacs shell: Can't exec program: /usr/bin/bash

Hello,

I upgraded to 1.7.0-56, then did my usual rebaseall/peflagsall.
It went well, but now, I keep getting failures to start new shells
under GNU emacs.
I get the following error:

Can't exec program: /usr/bin/bash

Process shell<4> exited abnormally with code 127

It succeeded first a few times (I have currently 4 shells running),
and I cannot get an error starting bash from the command line.

So, I'm a bit puzzled...

bash                           3.2.49-23                   OK
cygwin                         1.7.0-56                    OK
emacs                          23.1-10                     OK
emacs-el                       23.1-10                     Incomplete
emacs-X11                      23.1-10                     OK

Prior to the upgrade, I had 53, and no such symptom.

Thanks,
Marc