$DISPLAY variable empty after SSHing

This may be confusing because I have to SSH twice to reach the computer I
work on.

On my home computer, I begin by starting the X server. I run the command:

bash-3.2$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

And so it seems to be working fine. I then do:

ssh -X computer #2

Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.

And that is returned.

ssh -Y computer #2 returns no errors.

When I do
[mcoughlin@lisa ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:12.0
is returned for logging in with either the -X or -Y method.

When I finally log into my work computer with either the -X or -Y method,
-bash-3.2$ echo $DISPLAY

returns nothing. And so when I attempt to use octave to plot,
octave:2> plot(x)

gnuplot: unable to open display ''
gnuplot: X11 aborted.

Obviously nothing happens.