$HOME variable - cannot cd $HOME

Hello,

I just installed cygwin and ran a cygcheck (attached - errors occurred
during its generation but I'll save that for another post).  While I can set
and view the $HOME variable, I cannot cd $HOME.  I tried it at the command
line and in a .bashrc file in my home directory.  I looked around the
mailing list and online but didn't find anyone else with this problem
(though I may be misunderstanding the issue).

A .bashrc file containing the following lines runs without error and sets
the current directory correctly:
export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
export HOME=/home/adella
export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
cd /home/adella

but a .bashrc file containing 'cd' or 'cd $HOME' as the last line does not
set the current directory and gives the 'No such file or directory' error at
startup:
export PATH=/usr/bin:$PATH
export HOME=/home/adella
export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
cd $HOME

Then I tried to use $HOME directly at the command line and received the same
error (my inputs prefixed with a $):
$ cd $HOME
: No such file or directory
$ echo $HOME
/home/adella
$ cd /home/adella
$ pwd
/home/adella

Any idea of what I did wrong during set up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marianne
casem
at:uci