Re: Odd directory created when installing 1.7

On Jul 28 14:43, Cliff Hones wrote:
> Cliff Hones wrote:
> > .. One further possibly useful piece
> > of informaion - the create timestamps on the odd directories are all the
> > same, and 14 seconds later than the timestamp on the correct "dev" directory.
>
> Looking at the install log, I see this timestamp matches the time the
> bash.sh postinstall was run, so it would have been this snippet which
> did it, I imagine:
>
>   # Install /dev/fd, /dev/std{in,out,err}.  The bash builtin test was compiled
>   # to assume these exist, so use /bin/test to really check.
>   DEVDIR="$(cygpath -au "C:/$(cygpath -am /dev/)" | sed 's|/c/\(.\):/|/\1/|')"
>   mkdir -p "$DEVDIR" || result=1

Hmm, this looks kind of fragile.  Not to say it looks wrong.

$ cygpath -am /dev/
C:/cygwin/dev

Ok.

$ echo "C:/$(cygpath -am /dev/)"
C:/C:/cygwin/dev

Huh?

$ cygpath -au "C:/$(cygpath -am /dev/)"
/cygdrive/c/C:/cygwin/dev

Huh^2?

$ echo "$(cygpath -au "C:/$(cygpath -am /dev/)" | sed 's|/c/\(.\):/|/\1/|')"
/cygdrive/C/cygwin/dev

That's ok again, but is it always right?  I can't believe it.

Already using the fixed "C:/" in the expression is incorrect, given
that everybody is free to install Cygwin to a non-C: drive.

What this postinstall script should do is just this:

  mkdir -p /dev || result=1

or to drop the mkdir entirely since the /dev/ dir has been already
created by the 000-cygwin-post-install.sh script.

Corinna

Red Hat