Re: OpenSSH - sftp not working for non-Administrator users

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:14:51PM -0500, Doug Lim wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:37:42PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 08:50:47PM -0500, Doug Lim wrote:
>>>After a bit more research on the problem, I found a discussion thread
>>>on the web discussing a similar problem from 2006.  The difference is
>>>that the thread discusses scp connections dropping immediately after
>>>non-administrator authentication.
>>>
>>>http://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3782
>>>
>>>A response to a thread from March of this year indicates that copying
>>>all of the DLL files from cygwin\usr\bin to cygwin\usr\sbin as a
>>>workaround.  I've copied the DLL files on my server per the workaround
>>>and now non-administrator users are able to use sftp.
>>>
>>>I've attached a copy of cygcheck.out from the server where this is
>>>happening.
>>
>>That sounds like a pretty <insert negative adjective here> workaround.
>>
>>Just setting the PATH to include cygwin's bin directory is likely to
>>work better.  I know that someone in that thread said that they did
>>that already but I'm not convinced that they really knew what they were
>>doing.
>
>Except, cygwin\bin was already in the path as indicated in the
>cygcheck.out I attached.

The cygcheck.out file shows that the cygwin directory was in the PATH
when you ran the cygcheck program.  It doesn't necessarily mean that it
is the path that a service sees.

>It doesn't explain why users belonging to the Local Administrators
>group would be able to maintain an SFTP connection while
>non-Administrators would get dropped immediately following
>authentication.

Copying a bunch of DLLs to /usr/sbin doesn't explain this either.

cgf