Re: "ssh-host-config" now involves "cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh"

  From:       Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com>

  To:         cygwin@cygwin.com

  Date:       16.07.2009 18:36

  Subject:    Re: "ssh-host-config" now involves  "cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh"

>On Jul 16 18:14, Christoph Herdeg wrote:
>> Great to see that at least you guys have fun and enjoy yourselves. I
very
>> hope to have "made your days". Thank you again for your superb help!
You're
>> great people!
>>
>> The way you answer to people seeking for help speaks for itself. I hope
the
>> google bots to be very attentative so you won't be bothered that much by
>> dumb people like me in future.
>
>Sorry if you feel you got a raw deal.

Yes, that's the way I feel, but it's okay if you are sorry (if you mean
it).

>I really have other eggs to fry

Please don't believe I wouldn't know this. But it lies in the nature of a
mailing list that other people are reading it also. I am quite sure that I
am not the only one interested in using the latest SSH package on a Windows
Domain Controller. So instead of answering rude, dismissive and making
jokes, if you have no time at all you could have answered nothing and just
left my question on the list. In my opionion the way it goes now costs much
more time.

>right now, rather than fix up the ssh-host-config script, which is just
>a curtesy to the users anyway.

Okay, it's a curtesy to the users. That's something I didn't realize. I
thaught it was an inherent part of the package that everybody was
recommended to use. Please excuse my mistake.

>That's why I still stand behind what I wrote in the first place.
>
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

Okay, and I still stand behind the fact that I would contribute patches if
I were able to a) completely comprehend the coherences and b) were at least
a bit experienced in *x shell script. My skills there go as far as setting
a variable and do something like this:

z=$RANDOM
zl=`echo $z | wc -c`
while [ $zl -le 5 ]; do
      z=$RANDOM
      zl=`echo $z | wc -c`
done
RANDOM_PASS='!aVm+$z'

And that's it.

>And I'm allergic against the request to do remote debugging in foreign
>environments.  That's something I won't do, unless somebody pays for it.

You are one of the people that have a talent to get every single sentence
wrong, right? This was not a "request to do remote debugging in foreign
environments" but my _personal offer_ to build a new and clean virtual
testbed on my _home infrastructure extra for you_ - from where would I have
known that you have one yourself? Most developers haven't. I believe this
to be a nice and friendly offer that has absolutely nothing to do with
making you do my work.

>I have a domain environment myself.  I have a domain user called
>cyg_server with the required user rights to run sshd, I have a domain
>policy which forwards cyg_server's user rights to the client machines
>and ssh-host-config works fine for me.

That's great. Could you please tell me how you configured your "domain
policy which forwards cyg_server's user rights to the client machines"? I
found the sshd_server/cyg_server user in the following policies:

"Adjust memory quotas for a process"
"Replace a process level token"
"Act as part of the operating system"
"Create a token object"
"Deny log on through Terminal Services"
"Log on as a service"

Also I know that users need the right "Allow log on locally" to be able to
use SSH. Is that it?

>Other than that, the script was originally a help for the normal Joe and
>Jane User, not for company admins which should basically know what they
>are doing.

I know very well what I am doing; in the world of Windows. But my current
assignment includes management of this cygwin package so I need and want to
build up the required skills in that area. But if nobody helps, I won't be
able to. BTW I am not a "company admin", I am an external contractor that
constitutes a very small cogwheel in an extremly large machine. So if I
don't bring a certain skill, nobody will pay for me getting it.

>If you want ssh-host-config to become a kitchen sink for all
>environments, then *you* have to invest time and/or money to get this
>done.  I, for one, am not going to put my time into this voluntarily.

You call exactly four (4) cases a "kitchen sink for all environments"?
Please try not to exaggerate that boundlessly. "All environments" would
e.g. include Solaris, AIX, Linux and OS X servers and workstations that are
members of an MS-Domain. I am only talking about the four (4) states a
Windows computer can take.

>Corinna

Regards,
Christoph