Re: Trouble creating crontab

"Mark J. Reed" <markjreed@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Paul Mead wrote:
>> If not, how do I get it to use a different editor? I already have
>> EDITOR=/bin/vim in my .profile and have tried /bin/vim.exe in case that
>> was the problem.
>
> A couple quick things to check:
>
> 1. Make sure the EDITOR variable is exported.  Just setting it locally
> in bash won't affect crontab.
> 2. Make sure VISUAL isn't set differently; it overrides EDITOR for some apps.

Thanks Mark, I was fiddling around and found the setting in the batch
file which runs rxvt. I'm learning a huge amount about my installation
here.

So I've managed to falteringly edit my crontab using vim (doesn't feel
right and I made loads of mistakes, so I've got to find out how to get
emacs working instead) and I'm waiting to see if my test script runs at
the allotted time.

Thanks all for your help.

Paul