Re: [1.7] bug in chdir

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> > $ ls -dF //eblake //home //bin
> > ls: cannot access //bin: No such file or directory
> > //eblake/  //home/
> >

> > I guess that means, since //bin failed but //home succeeded, that there is
> > a machine on the domain at my work which is named home but which is
> > offline at the moment?

(confusing enough?  who names their work machine 'home'?)

> It seems so.  The fact that accessing //home does not create an
> exception points to a successful SMB name resolution.

Of course, my work domain is so big that 'echo //hom*' takes minutes, due to
the large number of known hosts that are not currently accessible, so I can't
easily test whether //home is a known host using readdir.  But it seems like
this problem could be recreated on a much smaller network, by just
disconnecting an appropriate machine from the network (although I won't be able
to try that until I'm back home).  It still seems like chdir() should do some
sort of stat() test rather than just a successful SMB name resolution when
attempting to change to //name.

--
Eric Blake