octave 3.0 package

I have been unable to get Cygwin Octave to run:

vanzandt:~ $ octave
vanzandt:~ $

Here's my version info:

vanzandt:~ $ cygcheck -c -h cygwin
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygwin               1.5.25-15      OK
vanzandt:~ $ cygcheck -c -h octave
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
octave               3.0.3-1        OK

I see Octave 3.2 has been packaged for Cygwin 1.7, but apparently Cygwin 1.7 hasn't been released.  I have certainly taken no special steps to get a prerelease version.  Octave is the only Cygwin program I've noticed problems with, so I'm reluctant to go to a prelease version of Cygwin.

Apparently octave cannot find two shared libraries:

vanzandt:~ $ which octave
/bin/octave
vanzandt:~ $ file /bin/octave
/bin/octave: symbolic link to `octave-3.0.3.exe'
vanzandt:~ $ cygcheck /bin/octave-3.0.3.exe
C:\cygwin\bin/octave-3.0.3.exe
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygoctinterp.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygcruft.dll
Error: could not find cygblas.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
            C:\WINDOWS\system32\Secur32.dll
Error: could not find cyglapack.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygoctave.dll
Error: could not find cygblas.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cygfftw3-3.dll
Error: could not find cyglapack.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cygreadline6.dll
        C:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses-9.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
          C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cyghdf5-0.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cygz.dll
      C:\cygwin\bin\cyggcc_s-1.dll

Those libraries actually are installed, as part of the lapack package:

vanzandt:~ $ cygcheck -c lapack
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
lapack               3.0-8          OK
vanzandt:~ $ cygcheck -l lapack|grep cyglapack
/usr/lib/lapack/cyglapack.dll
vanzandt:~ $ ls -l /usr/lib/lapack/cyg*
-rwxr-x---+ 1 jrv Users  591360 Mar 24  2006 /usr/lib/lapack/cygblas.dll
-rwxr-x---+ 1 jrv Users 5003776 Mar 24  2006 /usr/lib/lapack/cyglapack.dll

I believe Cygwin is supposed to automatically ensure that the correct version of each shared library is installed and loaded, but it looks like some part of that has broken down.

Do I have the right version of lapack installed?  (setup.exe also offers 3.0-5)  Is there a manual way of getting the loader to look in /usr/lib/lapack?  E.g. is there a Cygwin equivalent to the Linux program ldconfig?  I tried setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and also installing symlinks from /c/Cygwin/bin like this:

vanzandt:/c/cygwin/bin $ ls -l cygla*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 jrv Domain Users 29 Jul 13 10:13 cyglapack.dll -> /usr/lib/lapack/cyglapack.dll

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

              - Jim Van Zandt