cygwin openssh on win7

I have installed and tested openssh/cygwin on win 7 beta 7201 (i think)
not particular to win7 , oh and I have never worked with vista.

ssh-host-config        cannot get this to run until
chmod +r /etc/group
chmod +r /etc/passwd
chmod 777 /var                   not sure if 777 is necessary but haven't
                                        bothered to try other variations.

on win7 a userid   cygserver was created no big deal except that it shows
up as a valid login userid, which it would be nice to hide as noone should
ever try to login with this account.

After testing ssh and sftp from another computer on the local subnet, I
found that the connections were failing quite often.  I came across a
message that suggested running rebaseall, which at this time seems to have
corrected the problem.