Re: fresh 1.7, bash fails with STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 10:04:42PM -0700, Ian Kelling wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>It sounds like you are conflating a serious STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>>which is known to occur on Windows 7 with your not-so-serious "Bash
>>initialization w/cygwin-1.7".
>
>not-so-serious?  Cygwin 1.7 install is very broken because of this bug.
>Seems serious to me.  Is anyone able to install a fresh 1.7 with the
>default settings and not have bash fail?  If so, perhaps post cygcheck
>to compare?

When I said "a serious STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION" I really did mean that
this was a serious problem.  It is one that I'm sure Eric will fix, too.
The workaround for now is to drop back to an older version of bash and,
you've noted that you may have some fixup to do.

There is another problem which occurs on NT4.  There is no indication
that this is related to the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION since the problem is
still evident even when dropping back to previous versions.

Everyone seems to be in "confuse the issue as much as possible" mode
today by first assuming that downloading binutils will fix a bash
problem and then assuming that all bash problems are the same bash
problem.

There is not yet any reason to post cygcheck output.  We think we
understand the problem.  We just are waiting for Eric to find the time
to roll a new bash release built with the new version of binutils.

cgf