Re: Stuck trying to reinstall Emacs 23.0.92 and setup dying each time

On 7/1/2009 6:37 PM, KARR, DAVID (ATTCINW) wrote:
Ok, so that shows that emacs-el.lst.gz was corrupted.  I deleted it,
then reran setup. I clicked "Exp", then "View", then scrolled down to
the three "emacs*" lines and set them all to "Reinstall" (the "Current"
column says "23.0.92-2") and clicked "Next".  It chugged for a bit, last
displaying "Uninstalling emacs-el", then reported "setup.exe has
encountered ...".  After dismissing the dialog, I looked at /etc/setup
again, and the corrupted "emacs-el.lst.gz" was there again.  I also
checked to see whether any other "*.lst.gz" files were corrupted, and
there were none.

One other thought: You don't actually need emacs-el. This just provides source files for the emacs libraries, and you can always get them from the emacs source if you find you need them later. Can you reinstall emacs and emacs-X11 and just "keep" emacs-el?

Ken