cygwin, minimal resource demands, MinGW, Dev-Cpp, etc.

I've been away from the gnu software development efforts for a couple of years, and I'm wondering what the current status of cygwin is as compared to MinGW gcc (and related tools), and Dev-Cpp (alias, Dev C++).  Is there any comprehensive discussion comparing the _current_ resources (eg, gcc & related tools) of cygwin with the corresponding tools of MinGW?  How about the Dev C++ IDE?  I get the impression that _lots_ of linux things have been added to cygwin since I installed a version of cygwin several years ago.  For example, I get the impression that X11 has been added to cygwin.

But the last time I checked X11 was a _huge_, disc-gobbling package.  I'm particularly interested in conserving my 40 GB of disk storage.  I've been installing research and development packages on my recently acquired 40-GB-disk computer, and the software has already gobbled up half of the drive!!!  (Fortunately, this computer has an easy-to-use DVD drive; so lots of little-used things can be kept on DVDs.)

So I'd appreciate some pointers on resource allocation issues, including any good, easy-to-use references on the subject, especially comparing cygwin, gnu and otherwise "free" development packages.  Of particular interest is the current comparative status of cygwin (especially gcc and related tools), MinGW gcc and related tools, and Dev C++ (or new alternatives).  For comparison purposes I would be interested in any latest "free" tools developments (e.g., IDEs) for Java as well.

I'm looking for comparative information that can greatly help me to make optimal use of resources.