Re: Cygwin OpenSSH and Windows 7 RC

Matthias Meyer wrote:
David Christensen wrote:

Matthias Meyer wrote:
If I rebase within Windows7 I can not use this programs and librarys
within other versions of Windows, right?
Are you trying to share one Cygwin installation between multiple
operation system installations (e.g. over a network, dual boot, flash
drive, etc.)?  I tried that years ago, and it was very confusing/
frustrating.  I do one Cygwin installation (located at C:\cygwin) per
O/S installation and recommend that you do the same.

No, thats not what I am doing. I install cygwin in XP and build a new setup.exe (with Inno Setup) bundled with own programs. This setup.exe is installable and run well within XP as well as within Vista but not within Windows 7.
It is my assumption that the 'rebase' utility affects the installed
Cygwin files, not the downloaded setup files.  (The downloaded setup
files need to match what is on the Cygwin mirrors, or the Cygwin Setup
checksum should fail.)

Therefore I assume that I can not rebase the cygwin files and estimate that
they would run in XP, Vista and Windows 7.
I would believe I have to make a separate setup.exe for Windows 7 with
cygwin files that I rebased before within Windows 7.
Thats right?

But if this is right, I would wait some month and hope that cygwin 1.7 will
run without rebasing in all three windows versions.

Rebasing is really meant to be done on a per environment basis. It isn't always necessary and rebased DLLs from one system aren't guaranteed to run unfettered on another.

If you have not already, I suggest you try the latest 1.7 version
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2009-06/msg00028.html> or the
latest snapshot <http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>.

Holliston, MA 01746