Re: "bash: $'\r': command not found"; also "e"s nonfunctional and get deleted in bash window

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Dave Korn wrote:
> Richard Haney wrote:
>
>> I imagine that the messages involving "\r" have something to do with the
>> \r\n conventions. ÂSo I should mention that I use WordPad to edit
>> bash-initialization files.
>
> ÂThat'll be the cause of the problem then; wordpad is a windows program, so
> it tends to use windows-style CR/LF line ends. ÂYou can still use it to edit
> shell scripts, but always remember to run "d2u" on them afterward.

Yes.  I would recommend using a different editor, one that can deal
with UNIX newline conventions, so you don't have to take the extra
conversion step.  Of course, both the Cygwin and native Windows
versions of Vim, Emacs, and other cross-platform editors can do this.
The better text editors for Windows can, too, but they tend to be
commercial products, such as TextPad (~$30) and UltraEdit (~$50).

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>