Re: ImageMagick not working on Vista/Server 2008 64-bit

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Barry Kelly wrote:

> I have a Windows Server 2008 64-bit install, and I've found that
> ImageMagick cannot convert a simple JPG into a BMP, or resize a JPG.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> * Start mspaint
> * Create 200x200px white image
> * Save as test.jpg
> * Try this command: 'convert test.jpg test.bmp'
> This fails for me, with a Windows-generated "convert.exe has stopped
> working" dialog.
>
> Other ImageMagick commands fail also, such as mogrify, or using the
> -resize command rather than format conversion.

We are seeing this as well on Server 2008 32-bit.  It dies in
winsup/cygwin/thread.cc:113 with a STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION:

static inline verifyable_object_state
verifyable_object_isvalid (void const *objectptr, long magic, void
*static_ptr1,
                           void *static_ptr2, void *static_ptr3)
{
  myfault efault;
  /* Check for NULL pointer specifically since it is a cheap test and
avoids the
     overhead of setting up the fault handler.  */
  //if (!objectptr || efault.faulted ())
  if (efault.faulted ())
    return INVALID_OBJECT;

  verifyable_object **object = (verifyable_object **) objectptr;

  if ((static_ptr1 && *object == static_ptr1) ||
      (static_ptr2 && *object == static_ptr2) ||
      (static_ptr3 && *object == static_ptr3))
    return VALID_STATIC_OBJECT;
113:  if ((*object)->magic != magic)
    return INVALID_OBJECT;
  return VALID_OBJECT;
}

but I can't figure out how to get a back trace or any more information.
Running under gdb just shows the 0xC0000005 exit code without stopping.
Isn't the efault handler supposed to catch this anyway?  Any further
debugging ideas?  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Staff Realtime Software Engineer