Re: Slow/sluggish response ("system" task at 50%)

PS. So I went ahead and repeated the tr test on an older (Intel Core 2
Quad 2.66 GHz) machine with cygwin 1.5 on Windows *32-bit*:

$ time -p for ((i=1; i<100; i++)); do var=$(echo $i | tr [a-z] [A-Z]); done
real 2.64
user 6.56
sys 1.85

We're talking about a difference between an Intel processor ONE GENERATION
OLDER, on an older version of cygwin, yet being a few times FASTER.