How to avoid having shell scripts which fail from killing Emacs shell?

I've often been annoyed by shell scripts which fail for particular
reasons, at which point it causes my Emacs shell buffer to get killed,
with "Process shell<2> finished".

I think it's possible to code the scripts to use "trap", which might avoid
this problem, but sometimes (most times, really) I can't change the script.
Is there some way to configure Bash/Cygwin, perhaps in the .emacs_bash
script to mitigate this, without significant tradeoffs?