Re: HEADSUP maintainers: Packages install scripts without execute permissions

On Jun 22 14:38, Dave Korn wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > Here's the problem:  If you exec shell scripts, they should only be run
> > if the user trying to run the script has execute permissions on the
> > script.
>
>   Shell scripts don't _have_ to be executable, only if you want to launch one
> as if it were a command, rather than sourcing it.

Oh well, I really thought that would go without saying.  Yes, sure,
you're right.  That's at least the case for scripts in /bin or /usr/bin
and that's not invalidated by your below objection.

>   Why don't we just remove the "-c" and get setup.exe to use the simple "bash
> <filename>" syntax meaning "treat <filename> as a text file, open it and pipe
> it to stdin"?

I already suggested this on the cygwin-developers ML back in May (*)
but it was not discussed overly enthusiastic (**) (***).

Corinna

(*) http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-05/msg00045.html
(**) http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-05/msg00047.html
(***) http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-05/msg00050.html