Re: Is there a script to remove old packages from local disk

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 01:54:07PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:16:17PM -0400, Ralph Hempel wrote:
>>>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>><duck>
>>>
>>>Wouldn't it be nice if setup knew enough to remove the bz2 files for
>>>packages that were no longer current?
>>>
>>></duck>
>>
>>No need to duck.  I think setup really should just delete the files
>>when it is done with them if you choose "install from internet".
>
>Keeping the accumulated older versions cached in the local package dir
>has saved my skin and/or been a handy source of historical reference
>material on numerous occasions.  So if we're going to add a "tidy up
>local package dir" behaviour, I reckon it should be governed by another
>check-box on the final page, alongside the "create menu item" and
>"create shortcut" boxes.

Yes.  You're a "power user" unlike 99.9% of the people here who think
that the files in the download directory are crucial to the continued
operation of their cygwin installation.  For them, we're using up their
disk space for no reason.

But, I should just shut up now since I have no intention of implementing
this feature in setup anyway.  It was just an idle thought.

cgf