Installation problems

I installed Cygwin including most to the devel stuff on Microsoft
Vista but /usr/include/bits was unpopulated.

I looked for a headers or include package on the Cygwin site without success.

I repeated the process of default + devel with no better success.

I started a download of the entire Cygwin, everything, to make sure of
getting the headers.

But this is a Microsoft operating system, and it froze because I could
not spend hours sitting in front of the computer pressing things.

I woke it up with a brief touch of the power button and the download
panel was there with the green bars doing their dance but doing
nothing else.  The download had not continued after the user interface
controlling part went to sleep.  It froze too, apparently.  The
problematic program goes into freeze even when it is doing a download.
And doesn't restart a download when it "wakes up".

And the download couldn't be restarted by various clicks, bangs,
shouts and cries.

I tried running setup.exe in the hope that it provided a way of giving
the half-completed download a prod, getting it going again.

But the new instance of setup.exe knew nothing about the one that was
running, provided no means of controlling it, could only start a new
download.

The two Cygwin-related problems here:

(1) Headers such as <bits/wordsize.h> should be there when gcc &
Co. are downloaded.  I personally know that Cygwin is 32 bit.  But the
program build needs to be able to find that out portably, not by a
Cygwin-specific hack.  It compiles on Linux: why not on Cygwin?  I
have read elsewhere a message from someone who had the same problem
with <bits/mqueue.h>, whatever that is.

If there is some reason they can't be provided, if Cygwin is
necessarily defective in that way, if it is necessary to buy some
Microsoft programming language compiler to get them, okay, but why was
I not told?  Why is there nothing about it on the Cygwin site?  Why do
I need to spend many hours discovering independently something that in
that case is well-known to cognoscenti?

(2) The setup.exe program can't restart a download when a
non-Cygwin-related problem (or Problem) has unnecessarily stopped it.

--
Elle