Re: ASLR sometimes stops working on Vista with 1.7? [was: Re: Cygwin 1.7 release (was ...)]

I tested this change on XP 32 bit, 2K8 32 bit, W7 32 bit, and W7 64 bit,
by running `cygport automake1.11 compile' and a subsequent `make check',
which uses perl (and thus run-time loaded DLLs) a lot.

I don't have the expertise to follow this thread in detail, but I have one question from the user's point of view. Are your patches strictly designed to solve problems in Vista and later, or might they have a (positive) impact under XP?

I'm asking because I run XP and have occasionally had mysterious cygwin problems (for instance I wasn't able to build emacs 22.3 using cygport because the build kept hanging when many subprocesses were called). And I recall at least two other users (Steffen Sledz and Angelo Graziosi) who have reported problems that seemed to resemble BLODA but that couldn't be tracked down. I don't think they were running Vista, but I'm not sure.

Ken