Re: How to run GNU Emacs from Windows icon

David Karr wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf
Of Andrew DeFaria
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 8:47 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: How to run GNU Emacs from Windows icon

David Karr wrote:
I now need to set up Windows desktop icons that can start these processes. I managed to get XEmacs working, with the following command line:

C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c C:/cygwin/bin/xemacs-21.4.22.exe
Why the insistence on running bash? Why not simply run Xemacs? That's what I do at work and it works fine for me.
It may not produce any difficult symptoms with XEmacs itself, but without that I don't get a normal login shell out of the box.
And why do you require a "normal login shell"? Here's what I have for my shortcut that starts up XEmacs: "C:\Cygwin\bin\run.exe xemacs". Nothing else is required. I don't need to "login". I'm logged in already. I just need to edit files...
Again, why run bash first then run emacs?
Again, so I get a login shell. In any case, this has no effect on the symptom. I tried doing this without bash, and it fails in exactly the same way.
You have not defined what exactly your "symptom" is WRT xemacs. You stated:

"I managed to get XEmacs working, with the following command line:

 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --login -c C:/cygwin/bin/xemacs-21.4.22.exe
"

Then went on to describe how it fails with emacs (not xemacs) because emacs and a problem with your terminal type. I would think that xemacs doesn't care as much about terminal type. Is xemacs failing with the same error about terminal type? What is TERM set to for you? (Me: it's set to cygwin).
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.