Re: FAQ 4.46, applications interfere with subversion or not?

On 6/3/2009 8:20 AM, masc wrote:
When using cygwin's cvs2svn with subversion (1.6.2 r37639) while running
Avira AntiVir (http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php), svnadmin is failing
sporadically due to permission failure moving files.

Reading up on FAQ and mailing lists, I found that 3rd party software like
antivirus programs would be the cause.

However, I installed subversion for windows from here:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=8100
(also 1.6.2 r37639), and after modifying cygwin's PATH to use it, the
problem went away without touching antivir.

I wonder why cygwin's subversion/binaries seems to have issues with antivir,
while others do not.. rather looks like a cygwin issue on first glance.. can
anyone shed light on this?

The subversion code base has some hacks to retry various file operations to work around this issue. These hacks are enabled for a Windows build but not for Cygwin. I've attempted to port these hacks to Cygwin, but I may have missed an error code or three, thus not retrying some errors that should be retried.

Are you using Cygwin 1.5 or 1.7? I have disabled this hack in the 1.7 build because I was hoping 1.7's more robust file renaming and deleting code would come to the rescue. If you're using 1.7, I can roll another build with the hack enabled to see if that helps. If you're using 1.5, I'll need your help to debug this so I can adjust the hack to retry in this case. I only see the problem occasionally here.

"Tell the truth and run."
                -- Yugoslav proverb