Re: 1.7.0-48: [BUG] Passing characters above 128 from bash command line

On Jun  3 10:43, Edward Lam wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> What's left as questionable is the LANG=C default case.  Due to the
>> discussion from the last month we now use UTF-8 as default encoding,
>> because it's the only encoding which covers all (valid) characters.
>> Sure, we could also convert the command line using the current ANSI
>> codepage as Windows does it when calling CreateProcessA in this case.
>>
>> Maybe we should do that for testing?  Anybody having a strong opinion
>> here?
>
> I'm not clear on what you're proposing here. Are you suggesting that if
> the conversion from LANG to UTF-16 fails, that we also try a second
> attempt from the default system code page to UTF-16?

No.  I'm suggesting to convert the command line always using the default
ANSI codepage, same as Windows when calling CreateProcessA.  This only
affects non-Cygwin processes anyway since Cygwin uses another mechanism
to send the command line arguments to the child process.

Corinna

Red Hat