Re: Win2k Command Window Can't Execute G++

Matt Wozniski <godlygeek <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Don't have a cygwin install in front of me ATM, but - isn't g++ a
> cygwin symlink these days?  cmd.exe can't follow those even if they're
> in the path, of course.
>
> ~Matt

Thanks for the reply, Matt. I don't have a really good idea of how Cygwin and
Windows are both supposed to be able to handle .LNKs to e.g. G++, but a dump of
g++.exe.lnk shows strings for /etc/alternatives and L:\cygwin\etc\alternatives.
So yes, I don't know if Windows is supposed to be able follow that, but as I
said in my original post, I'm almost certain that I was able to invoke it from
a CMD window. The reason that I tried that at the time was because I was using
a set of pages that appeared to give me good idea of how an installation should
go - remember, I don't speak unix/linux at all - and it was illustrated there.
The link to installing GCC that I was looking at is

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/moac/currentstudents/peter_cock/cygwin/part2/

That was directed specifically to XP, but it was a good enough beginners guide
for Win2k.

I'm sure that I can come up with a hack that will let me do what I want, but I
wouldn't have thought it would be necessary.

Roger