Re: Long file names not working in cygwin-1.7.0-48

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 09:39:23AM -0700, jpa wrote:
>"Christopher Faylor" wrote:
>>On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 05:11:55PM -0700, jpa wrote:
>>># Create long directory path fails (255 a's/255 b's mkdir -p /tmp/[SNIP
>>>long dir name]>
>>Thanks for the test case.  This should be fixed in the next snapshot
>>which is building now.  I'll be in bed before it finishes but if there
>>are problems uploading it I'll restart it tomorrow.
>>
>>http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>>
>>Btw, the second set of "b"'s isn't necessary.  A single b would trigger
>>the problem.
>
>Thank you.  This problem has been fixed with the 5-28-2009 snapshot.
>Unfortunately I now have a different but probably related problem.  I
>am unable to create a file or directory with a period as the first
>character.
>
>mkdir .test returns "/bin/mkdir: cannot create directory `.test': No
>such file or directory"

l:\>bash
bash-3.2$ cd /tmp
bash-3.2$ mkdir .test
bash-3.2$ exit
exit

>However this only happens in my cwrsync installation which uses cygwin.
>Rolling back to 1.7.0-48 allows periods at the beginning. In my test install
>of cygwin on a WinXP box I can't trigger the error.

Sorry but I don't care about cwrsync.  If you can generate a test case
for a bona fide Cygwin installation, I'll investigate.

FWIW, it is hard to believe that the change I made for this would affect
files beginning with dots in any way.

cgf