Re: Cygwin 1.7(even in 1.5) user logined through cygwin.bat can't show whit "w" command

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:48:30PM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>Huang Bambo wrote:
>> As showed in the title.
>> If I start a shell from cygwin.bat, the "w" and "who" command showed
>> nothing while the shell from ssh can.
>> And I also think the tty should be pts/x, not ttyx.
>
>Set "CYGWIN=tty" in your Windows environment if you want/need 'bash'
>to register as a terminal when invoked from any 'cmd.exe' (like 'cygwin.bat'
>does).  See:
>
><http://cygwin.com/1.7/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>
>
>Note that other terminals (mintty, xterm, rxvt) don't require this because
>they know they are terminals.

I think his point was that Cygwin doesn't make a distinction between
ttys and ptys.  That always sort of bugged me too but it isn't something
that is going to be fixed anytime soon.

I don't know what the "w", "who" problem is though.

cgf