Re: emacs -nw keypad

On 5/26/2009 4:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
It would really help me to see the result of typing "C-h l" after
pressing the keypad keys, on Tim's machine, as I requested earlier
in this thread.

I can't help you with Tim's machine, but I tried it on my own. (I'm currently running emacs-23.0.94 in cygwin-1.7.) It's clear that the keypad keys are not recognized as such when running emacs in rxvt or emacs -nw in an xterm. The same thing happens in a third terminal that I tried, mintty.

In addition, emacs sees C-h as DEL in all three cases, so it isn't recognized as the help key. I had to use F1 for help.

Here are the results. First, for comparison, I ran emacs under X (without -nw). With numlock on, I typed '123456' on the keypad, followed by C-h l. The results were as expected:

<kp-1> <kp-2> <kp-3> <kp-4> <kp-5> <kp-6> C-h l

Next, I tried the three terminals I mentioned above, typing '123456' on the keypad, followed by F1 l:

emacs -nw in xterm: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ESC O P l

emacs in rxvt-native: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ESC [ 1 1 ~ l

emacs in mintty: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ESC O P l

In the first and third cases, the environment variable TERM is xterm before starting emacs, and COLORMTERM isn't set. In the second case, TERM=rxvt-cygwin-native and COLORTERM=rxvt-xpm. In all cases, including the good case (emacs under X without -nw), TERM="dumb" within emacs, as shown by evaluating (getenv "TERM").

Ken