RE: emacs -nw keypad

Hi Ken,

> I don't know the answer, but I can think of a couple things
> you could try.  First, take a look at the news file for emacs
> 22.  (C-u C-h C-n, then enter 22 when you're prompted for the
> version.)  Search for 'keypad', and you'll find a discussion
> of a new keypad setup package.  I don't use it myself, so I
> don't know if it's relevant.

I tried changing those settings without much luck. Anyway I don't think
those settings can help, since they were already there in 22.2.1, which
doesn't have this problem.

> A second possibility is to use the version of emacs compiled
> without X support (/usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe) to see if that
> works better than emacs -nw (which is really emacs-X11.exe
> -nw after you unwind the symbolic links).

Same problem with emacs-nox.

> If neither of these helps, try asking for help on emacs-devel
> or help-gnu-emacs.  A lot has changed since emacs 21.2.

On Linux there's no problem with emacs 22.2.1 at least.

> My original plan was to build emacs 22.3 for cygwin 1.5,
> leaving the bleeding edge for people who were testing cygwin
> 1.7.  Unfortunately, the standard method for making cygwin
> packages (cygport) didn't work with emacs 22.3, so it would
> have been very time consuming to package it.  I decided it
> wasn't worth the effort since emacs 23 seems to be reasonably
> stable and will probably be released in the not-too-distant future.

Ah, OK. It does mean one can't easily tell if the problem is
Cygwin-specific. Normally I can check a Linux distribution with a similar
version.

> Out of curiosity, is there some reason why you need to use
> the -nw switch when you run emacs?

I don't use it all the time, but it's a lot quicker to run emacs -nw in an
rxvt than starting an X-server just for a quick edit - if I don't happen to
have the X-server running already. Of course another option is the Windows
version of emacs, so it's not essential, just handy.

Thanks,
Tim.