Re: emacs -nw keypad

On 5/25/2009 2:23 PM, Tim Adye wrote:
I have however found one problem with this experimental release 23.0.92-2:
when I run it in no-window mode (emacs -nw) in an xterm (or rxvt), the
keypad keys do not seem to be defined or mapped to emacs functions. I use
tpu-edt mode, which relies on those keys. It worked fine in emacs 21.2.1 (I
just tested on another system) and 23.0.92-2 works fine in window mode
(without -nw).

I don't know the answer, but I can think of a couple things you could try. First, take a look at the news file for emacs 22. (C-u C-h C-n, then enter 22 when you're prompted for the version.) Search for 'keypad', and you'll find a discussion of a new keypad setup package. I don't use it myself, so I don't know if it's relevant.

A second possibility is to use the version of emacs compiled without X support (/usr/bin/emacs-nox.exe) to see if that works better than emacs -nw (which is really emacs-X11.exe -nw after you unwind the symbolic links).

If neither of these helps, try asking for help on emacs-devel or help-gnu-emacs. A lot has changed since emacs 21.2.

I am a bit concerned that we are jumping ahead to the bleeding edge. That's
fine for an experimental release like this, but a bit worrying if this is to
become the default Cygwin release. Is there a particular problem with 22.3
that forced you to jump forward?

My original plan was to build emacs 22.3 for cygwin 1.5, leaving the bleeding edge for people who were testing cygwin 1.7. Unfortunately, the standard method for making cygwin packages (cygport) didn't work with emacs 22.3, so it would have been very time consuming to package it. I decided it wasn't worth the effort since emacs 23 seems to be reasonably stable and will probably be released in the not-too-distant future.

Ken