Re: [1.5] Problem with OpenSSH on Windows Home Server (Win2003)

On 05/19/2009, Patrick Aikens wrote:
I can log in using a password for any user who is a member of the
Administrators group. Many of the guides I've seen on installing
OpenSSH on windows (especially 2003 server) have you add new users to
the Admin group, so this seems to be a common necessity.  If this is a
known restriction?  If so, I'll go ahead and stick to allowing
key-based authentication only.

There does appear to be an issue with logging in using password authentication if the user is not part of the Administrators group. I've been able to reproduce the problem on XP with a new user that has never logged in. Although I tried this with 1.7, I didn't enable any fancy authentication options available there, so it should be a pretty good match functionally to 1.5's version. If you haven't tried this already, you might try switching the users in question to be in the "Adminstrators" group, logging in through ssh (or just through Windows), and then switching back, assuming the users in question haven't started Cygwin's 'bash' shell before when they logged in. This didn't resolve the log in issues I saw but did change them from a permissions issue (i.e. "Permission denied") to a successful login that was immediately closed. I've looked some at the latter issue and the server is receiving SIGCHLD, which suggests that things are getting killed off right at the start of the session but I don't know more than this. This is really Corinna's ballywick but she's on vacation. So it may have to wait for her return to get the real low-down (and it's possible it has already been discussed but I wasn't paying attention. ;-) ) In any case, if public key authentication will serve you fine, I'd recommend using it. It's defintely more secure than password authentication.

Holliston, MA 01746