Re: [1.5] Problem with OpenSSH on Windows Home Server (Win2003)

Patrick Aikens wrote:
> Patrick Aikens wrote:
>> I've installed cygwin 1.5 on my WHS box as Administrator.  I've opened a
>> cygwin terminal and executed the mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd and mkgroup
>> -l > /etc/group commands, executed ssh-host-setup and used privilege
>> separation, and everything seems to have executed OK.  I can ssh to that
>> machine as Administrator just fine using password auth.  However, I
>> can't ssh in as any other user on that machine using password
>> authentication - I get told that the password is incorrect, which I know
>> it isn't.  I can use key-based auth to login as any user, so I do have a
>> workaround, but I'm curious as to why no user but Administrator can use
>> password auth to log in?  I've logged in via remote desktop as the user
>> I wish to SSH as and ran ssh-user-config as that user (that's how I got
>> the key-based login working).  I haven't done that as Administrator,
>> though, and it still lets me log in just fine there.
>>
>> Sorry if this is a bit rambling, but I've been working on this problem
>> for a while and it's getting late where I am... cygcheck.out is attached.
>>

> So, is this expected behavior then?  Is it only possible to log in as
> the user that installed the server using password authentication?

Is 1.5 not supported anymore?  I only see 1.7 questions getting
answered, and nobody even tells me to get lost in 4 days... I apologize
if I've violated some sort of mailing list rule with my ssh question, I
thought I had fulfilled all the requirements of asking a question
(including the cygcheck output), but it was late.