Re: [1.7] Proposal: the filename encoding in C locale uses UTF-8 instead of SO/UTF-8

On May 13 02:29, IWAMURO Motonori wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I propose that the filename encoding in C locale uses UTF-8 instead of SO/UTF-8.
>
> There are three reasons:
>
> 1. for the interoperability between Cygwin and various UNIX-like
> systems (Linux, *BSD, Solaris, and so on).
>    UNIX-like systems treat the filename as 8bit byte array, and many
> applications on the systems send or receive filename information
> without locale. (mercurial, git, rsync, and so on).
>
> 2. UTF-8 is the only encoding that can treat multi languages.
>
> 3. Today, the default encoding of modern UNIX-like systems is UTF-8.

That's an interesting thought.  Do you have a patch and, if so, did you
try it?  Does it, for instance, help for the issue reported in the
thread starting at http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-05/msg00245.html?

Corinna

Red Hat