Re: gfortran-4 problem: stdout is lost when redirected

David Billinghurst wrote:
> I have a problem with cygwin gfortran 4.3.2 20080827 on cygwin-1.7. Text
> written to stdout (unit 6) is lost when redirected.  The problem goes
> away if I add  a "close(6)" statement, so the buffer may not be flushed
> properly.
>
> I don't see the problem with vanilla gcc-4.4.0 or gcc-trunk, compiled
> from source.  These versions still use static libraries, so I am unsure
> if the problem has been fixed, or if it is due to the patches in the
> cygwin version of 4.3.2.

  Yes, this is a known problem with the DLL build of libgfortran, last
discussed on this list two days ago.  It's almost certainly to do with
buffered output and DLLs unloading at process shutdown, and the current
workaround is to use static linking.  I believe this is a problem from
upstream, where shared libraries are still not the default.  Getting java to
work at all (it currently builds an invalid DLL) is my first priority,
followed by gfortran stdio and libstdc function replacement.  Also, PTC!

    cheers,
      DaveK