Re: [1.5] v. [1.7] unison: version clash?

Mark J. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Dave Korn  wrote:
>>  I must be feeling a little "special" today.  Why should there be any
>> relationship between 1.5 package numbers and 1.7 package numbers?
>
> I think that traditionally, if you found two Cygwin packages in the
> wild without any other context, and they had the same filename, they
> were ipso facto the same package.  Unless someone messed up somewhere.

  But that was before there were two Cygwin versions.

> Here we have two packages with the same filename that are not in fact
> the same package.  Ergo, someone messed up somewhere. :)

  But they exist in entirely separate name spaces, don't they?  How could the
similarity or difference of the names actually lead to anything going wrong in
practice, unless you're in the habit of casually pulling tarballs out of your
local package dir and manually installing them?

    cheers,
      DaveK