Re: Bash problem

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Ken Brown
> A build script I was running failed because it had a command of > the form 'eval foo=bar time <command>'.

That won't work because time is a special shell keyword, and as such
only recognized when it's the first word on the command line. The same
is true of all shell syntax-driving keywords such as "case", "for",
"while", etc.  (But not for simple built-in commands, which can appear
anywhere the name of an actual command program on disk can).

> I have access to a linux system in which the original command > (with foo=bar) works.

That just means that the Linux system has the standalone time(1)
command installed.  As it happens, my Cygwin install also has a
/bin/time.

You can just move the assignment to after the 'time':

eval time foo=bar env | grep foo

real    0m0.120s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.078s