Re: Update config.guess to treat cygwin 1.7 as new system name

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 05:55:13AM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>According to Ben Elliston on 4/27/2009 12:47 AM:
>>> The upcoming Cygwin 1.7.0 release adds so many APIs and improves so
>>> much functionality that it probably deserves a separate designation
>>> in config.guess.  For reference, notice the size of the most recent
>>> beta announcement:
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2009-02/msg00018.html
>>
>> For consistency with other system triplets that append their version
>> number, could we emit the version number unconditionally for all
>> Cygwin systems? (eg. i686-pc-cygwin1.5)?
>
>That would be fine with me.  Properly written scripts already use cygwin*
>as the case for detecting cygwin in general.

I don't see any benefits to appending the cygwin version number to the
triplet.  That just makes extra typing.  So what if there is new
functionality?  That's what configure is supposed to determine.

What other systems emit version numbers after the OS name?  Certainly
config.guess for linux doesn't do that and it could have done that given
the improvements from 2.2 -> 2.4 -> 2.6.

cgf