Building static executables

I noticed that /bin/bash.exe has several library dependencies:

~> cygcheck /bin/bash.exe
  D:\bin\cygwin1.dll
  D:\bin\cygintl-8.dll
    D:\bin\cygiconv-2.dll
  D:\bin\cygreadline6.dll
    D:\bin\cygncurses-8.dll

(as well as other requirements under c:\Windows\system32\ not listed here). I was able to build a "static" version (that is, a version requiring only a co-located cygwin1.dll to run) by defining

~> export CFLAGS="-static"

and then building bash from source*.

I was able to do the same thing with nano.exe, which in its "non-static" standard form requires all of cygncurses-8.dll, cygintl-8.dll, cygiconv-2.dll as well as cygwin1.dll.

I then tried (because it provides a nicer look than bash)

~> cygcheck /bin/rxvt.exe
  D:\bin\cygwin1.dll

and guessed that /bin/rxvt.exe already was "static" in the sense that it would require only a co-located cygwin1.dll to run; but when I tried it in that sparse environment I got the error message:

failed to load libW11.dll

Q1. Can anybody tell me why cygcheck /bin/rxvt.exe does not show libW11.dll as a dependency?

I then tried building rxvt from source* with the same setting for CFLAGS, but although an executable built perfectly well, it was not static either. And in the same way: it needs libW11.dll.

Q2. Please can anybody tell me how to build static executables (in general) in Cygwin, from source*?

* What I mean by "source" is the .tar.gz from GNU or SourceForge or ...

Thank you.

Fergus